My Epilepsy Story - Incident & Hospitalization (part 1)

I am a Person with Disability. Categorized under the Psychosocial group - a misunderstood areas of disability. I had a head injury leading to severe bleeding in my brain and in the process of healing I experience seizures or epileptic attacks. 

Nothing is stopping me to continue living normally and continue doing what I did before the incident.

My Epilepsy Story begins here. 

April 27, 2014 - Sunday

Opening of the village's basketball tournament. We are playing first and we were warming up shooting and doing layups. When the game is about to start, I clearly remember greeting and talking to the referees requesting to make good calls during the game. Then it happened. I lost consciousness.

IT

Months later, after being hospitalized and now recovering. I asked my basketball teammates what really happened to me. This will sound really funny. I got injured during tip-off or jump ball. This is the start or the game. Immediately, I said "Ako lang ata sa buong mundo ang na-injure sa jump ball." Which I still believe am. Hahaha! I am not proud of this of course but it is just so bizarre. Who gets head injuries in a jump ball?? 

My teammates narrated that the opponent hit the ball against my hand that made me fall sideways and backwards. I fell and my head hit the concrete basketball court two times as my teammates heard the impact hard and loud. I tried to get up, to stand but I fell and started to seize. I believe many panicked but good thing is one of my teammates is a nurse and did first aide. They managed to rush me to a nearby hospital and contacted my parents.

Head trauma is the injury to my brain which led to hemorrhage. Bleeding into the space that surrounds my brain. (Sounds terrible, right? Yes it is)

2nd Week of May 2014 - (I do not remember what exact date)

A few weeks later, my memory started to remember again. I woke up remembering seeing a visitor in the hospital being visited by one of my Church mates in PGH (Philippine General Hospital). 


A great illustration on how my mind worked is like a Cassette Recorder. My mind was playing but the record button wasn't pressed. I have zero memories of what happened. Pictures, videos taken by my parents helped to add pieces to my lost memory. 

Question is, what was my condition? I was unconscious or in a mild comatose? It was totally blank. There is a gap. For me I think it was just a long long long sleep. During my 'not recording' days, my parents said that I am awake, I am able to speak but with very bad memory - I even called my father kuya (brothter). I acted like a child, with no control. I was sometimes tied to my bed and pulling out my IV line, catheter and all. I was not myself. 

Praise God, He blessed me with kind-hearted people, I was treated well. My parents told me plenty of friends, relatives, church mates visited. I was rushed to the emergency room then transferred to the ICU (Intensive Care Unit) in Perpetual Help Hospital - Binan Laguna but was moved to a better hospital as recommended by my Neuro Surgeon, Dr. Willy G. Lopez. I am sure that it was very hard for them to take rotation in watching over me since I am in ICU. I am truly blessed for having loving people around me. 

Thank you Lord for keeping me alive during those days in the summer of 2014.

To be continued.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adding New Faith Goals for 2012

It Is Not Always About Academics

Benefits Of Singlehood